I have a great many food allergies which makes it impossible for me to consume pre-made foods, mixes, etc. Everything I eat, I have to make from scratch. This started about 25 years ago. Since then, I have put together a large library of delicious recipes that are free from many of the most common food allergens such as dairy products, eggs, gluten, sugar, alcohol, nuts, soy or corn. Here is one of my favorites:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baked donut pan (if you don’t have one but you have a pan that makes six small Bundt cakes, that will work as well).*
- Mix 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free flour with 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Sweet Sorghum flour
- 2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest from one orange (I really like to use the Cara Cara oranges)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I actually use the Chatfield Carob Chips since I also can’t have chocolate) depending on how many chips you want in your donuts.
- 1/4 cup granulated fructose or 1 tablespoon stevia powder (you can also use 1/4 cup agave or honey**; if you want a slightly sweeter donut, add 1/3 cup of the fructose).
- Mix until blended and make a well in the middle.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil), 1 teaspoon vanilla***
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (I use rice vinegar since its one of the mildest in flavors so your baked good doesn’t taste like vinegar)
- the juice from the orange which should measure between 1/3 and 1/2 cup, and
- club soda so that you have a total of 1 cup of liquid including the OJ.
- Mix until well blended.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag (I don’t go to the trouble of buying piping bags — I use one gallon storage bags and cut off one bottom corner AFTER I fill it).
- Pipe mixture into the donut or Bundt cake pan until circles are well filled and bake for 10-12 minutes until donut is springs back when you touch it.
* Another option is to fry: in that case, add only 3/4 cup of liquid to keep the dough from getting sticky so that you can roll it out and cut out the donuts. Or, keep the liquid and drop from a spoon into the fat. Fry them at 375 degrees.
**Add with the wet ingredients.
***I use the alcohol free vanilla found at Trader Joe’s.
Help support my blog by using the links below to purchase the products in the recipe: