This is a quick and easy soup that tastes wonderful; creamy and rich even without dairy or thickening. Provides 2 large bowls or 4 smaller ones if you’re using it as an appetizer.
- 2 good sized leeks, white and green parts only, cut in half and washed then sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves depending on how much you like garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite herb mixture
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and diced (like potatoes, the smaller you dice the root, the quicker it will cook)
- 3 cups of chicken stock, or for vegans, use water or a light vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium sized pot, heat oil and add the leeks and lightly salt them; cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic (you don’t need to slice it, just peel it) as well as the herbs. Add the stock or broth along with the diced celery root, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until celery root is tender. Blend in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.