I love sweet potatoes any way I can get them. For a long time, I was content with just baking them and serving them with margarine and cinnamon or dicing and steaming them and then whipping them with margarine and spices. This recipe goes a step further producing a silky, smooth interior with a crunchy fried exterior. So yummy and so easy to do. The hardest part is probably putting enough oil in the pan so that the patties don’t touch the bottom of the pan and burn. Sweet potato will burn very quickly so be sure to add at least a half inch of olive oil to your pan and get it good and hot before you add the patties. Fry over medium heat once the oil gets hot.
- 1 cup mashed cauliflower (I love the purple variety but any will do; 1 small cauliflower will make right around 1 cup of mash)
- 3/4 cup of baked sweet potato (one medium sweet potato will yield just about 3/4 cup)
- 4 tablespoons of sweet potato flour
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed (or you could use a mixture of flax, chia and hemp seeds ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon of spice (I used cinnamon but allspice, ground cloves, ground ginger or nutmeg will work as well depending on your taste)
- Salt and ground pepper to taste (I used 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper)
With a hand mixer on low speed, mix the cauliflower and sweet potato until well blended and the cauliflower is broken down. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Heat the oil (I used my 12 inch fry pan and cooked all 4 patties at once) and oil your hands. Make four patties using your hands (each should be about 1/2 cup of mixture and you may need to put a little more oil on your hands after the second patty).
Fry on each side for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to remove any excess oil and then transfer to plates. These are very soft, not firm like meat patties so treat them with care.
TIP: These would also be great with a little maple syrup over the top.