I do love pancakes, one of my favorite breakfasts on Sundays, the only day I allow myself something other than a smoothie. Its been hard to find a recipe for gluten-free pancakes that doesn’t result in a gummy pancake. This one fits the bill.
In a small bowl mix:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, preferably unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
In a medium size bowl combine:
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax (I use the golden and it doesn’t change the color of my baked goods)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
In a small (4-cup) bowl, whip:
- 2 tablespoons aquafaba
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon monk fruit powder
Whip on medium until stiff peaks form and then increase speed to maximum and whip another 4-5 minutes.
Add to the flour mixture:
- 1/4 cup avocado oil OR 1/4 cup fruit puree
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Add the milk mixture and stir until combined. Gently fold in the aquafaba mixture. Drop by 1/4 cups onto greased, heated skillet and cook until bubbling and then turn over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add some maple syrup and enjoy.