I love hummus but regular hummus loses all its taste when compared with sweet potato hummus! Oh it is so good be sure to only make it when you have company to help you eat it or you’ll end up devouring the entire batch yourself in one sitting — it is really that good. And easy to make with canned sweet potato.
In a food processor or blender:
- 1 15-ounce can drained chickpeas
- 1 cup of sweet potato puree
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin oil (or avocado or olive oil)
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon papika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Blend until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Garnish with scallions — be generous, they add another layer of flavor and go very well with this hummus. Serve with crackers or raw veggies (I love mine with plantain chips), pitas or flatbread.
If you’re looking for a healthy snack that your kids along with anybody else will love, try this alternative to sweet potato hummus:
Carob or Chocolate Hummus: In your food processor, add:
- 1 15-oumce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup date syrup, agave or coconut nectar (add more if you want it really sweet)
- 1/2 cup carob or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Blend until smooth.