This is a very easy recipe to make if you have a blender or Vitamix. And it turns out not only delicious but silky smooth and creamy. Also, its adaptable to several other types of desserts — chocolate cream pie, fudgesicles (if you have a mold or even ice cube tray with wooden sticks), or pudding.
Put in your blender:
- 1 ripe avocado (or 1/4 cup avocado oil – the oil has less avocado flavor so doesn’t add any taste to the dessert)
- 1 cup of mashed figs*
- 1/2 cup chopped dates (or 4 whole medjool dates)**
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder or carob powder
- 2 large scoops of protein powder
- 2 cups hemp milk***
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Blend until smooth. At this point, you can divide the mixture into pudding cups, fill ice cube trays, or place it in an ice cream freezer. If you make ice cream with it, I suggest that when its ready, put the ice cream into small containers since if you freeze it in a larger container, like I did, you’ll have a very solid block of hemp cream that needs to be thawed before you can use it. If you’re making a chocolate cream pie, pre-bake a ready made gluten-free crust and cool it before you add the pudding to the pie crust.
*You could also use 4 ripe figs, or 1 cup of stewed prunes.
**Whole Foods carries chopped dates with oat flour.
*** Coconut milk or soy milk will also work in this recipe.