This cake is so moist and fudgy that it doesn’t need any frosting. That doesn’t mean that you can’t put some strawberry cream cheese frosting on it if you want, or even serve it with some non-dairy whipped cream or “ice cream”. I simply serve mine with some of my strawberry jam or some fresh raspberries. So satisfying for those with a sweet tooth.
Grease and flour a tube or bundt pan. In a medium size bowl mix:
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup carob powder (if you want, you can use cocoa)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
In a second bowl mix:
- 1 cup pureed stewed prunes
- 1/2 cup apple or pear sauce
- 1 tablespoon stevia, 1/2 cup agave or coconut nectar, or 1/2 cup maple syrup (if you add the liquids, be sure to reduce the club soda by an equivalent amount)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups club soda
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Be sure to mix thoroughly and then keep mixing for several more minutes (gluten-free flour needs more mixing than regular wheat flour). Pour into the prepared pan and bake in a 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes depending on the size of your pan and your oven. Its done when a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack and then onto a serving plate.
You could also add some chopped dates, hemp hulls, coconut, or if you can eat them, even some chopped walnuts.