My mother didn’t make chicken a la king very often but it was a favorite of everyone in my family. Here’s my updated version with the addition of peas, mushrooms and leeks instead of onion. Very tasty with a variety of starches like gluten-free toast, baking powder biscuits, rice, or quinoa. I make it now to use up leftovers from rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Makes 4 servings.
- 6 inches of leek, white part only, cleaned and sliced thin
- 2 stalks of celery, washed and sliced on the bias
- 8-10 mushrooms such as baby bellas, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1 cup cooked diced chicken
- 1 small jar of pimentos (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk, anything but soymilk
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried herb blend like Mrs. Dash
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
In a 7-9″ skillet, heat the olive oil and add the leek, celery, and mushrooms. Saute until softened (feel free to lower the heat to low and cover them), about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the brown rice flour and let simmer for a few minutes to cook the flour (about 3 minutes). Add the chicken, pimentos, peas and seasonings. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste. Stir in the non-dairy milk and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve with your choice of side such as gluten-free toast.