One of the things I’ve missed the most over the years is ice cream. I take a water aerobics class at the Y and when we do the “stir the pot” exercise, the instructor always asks people what their favorite flavor of ice cream is and she stopped asking me the third time I said I was allergic to dairy. But now I have an answer be it the Carob Avocado cream from a couple of weeks ago, or this new one I just made. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
In your blender, blend:
- 1 ripe avocado, this provides the fat so that you don’t end up with an “icy” cream
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup pear or apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons of carob OR leave this out and add chips when the cream is frozen, OR if you can, you could add cocoa or melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 large scoops protein powder
- 2 cups hemp milk*
- 1/2 teaspoon mint oil or extract
*I used hemp but coconut or soy milk would work just as well. Rice milk doesn’t freeze well as it tends to make an icy mixture rather than a cream.
Blend until smooth. Pour into your ice cream freezer or into ice cube trays to freeze.
TIP: If the avocado gives too much of a flavor or you don’t care for avocado, add some avocado oil to the blender. The oil has very little taste and will give you a creamy texture.